Enhance Your Silhouette with Breast Enlargement
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, there were over 285,000 breast augmentation (breast enlargement) procedures done in 2014. In fact, breast augmentation has been the top cosmetic surgical procedure for many years. The reason? Because this procedure can help women feel more feminine, sexy and powerful.
Keep in mind that having breast surgery is no guarantee that your life will drastically change; it is important to have the procedure for the right reasons – not to please another person. Dr. David Allison is a board certified breast surgeon who has performed hundreds of breast surgeries over the past 13 years.
What a Breast Augmentation Can Correct
Breast augmentation surgery is performed to increase breast size in women who:
- Have small breasts that are not in proportion to their body
- Experienced a decline in breast volume after pregnancy, breastfeeding or weight loss
- Want to correct breast asymmetry
- Desire larger, fuller breasts for aesthetic reasons
Breast Augmentation Options
You have four main choices when it comes to breast augmentation surgery. Dr. Allison will partner with you to understand your goals and your lifestyle in order to recommend the right variations when it comes to the:
- Incision location
- Implant type (silicone or saline)
- Implant size, shape and texture
- Placement of the implant
During breast augmentation surgery, general anesthesia or intravenous sedation is administered. Dr. Allison makes an incision on the breast to allow the implant to be inserted. The incision may be made in several ways:
- In a semi-circle incision around the bottom portion of the areola (periareolar incision)
- Underneath the breast, in the breast crease (inframammary incision)
- In the armpit (transaxillary incision)
It is through this incision that the silicone shell is inserted. The shell may be empty when inserted (saline implants) and then filled with the desired amount of saline solution…or the silicone shell may be pre-filled with the desired amount of silicone gel.
Dr. Allison will discuss the right size, shape and texture of the implant during your Consultation to ensure you end up with the look you desire. Implant sizes are measured in terms of cubic centimeters (cc) and typically range from 120cc to 850cc. Teardrop or round shapes are available.
The placement of the implant on the chest wall will also be determined in advance and will depend on your existing breast tissue and implant size so a natural look can be achieved. Options include:
- Under the pectoral muscles and underlying muscles (submuscular)
- Under the upper pectoral muscles but above the chest muscles (subpectoral)
- Above the pectoral and chest muscles and beneath the breast tissue (subglandular)
The incision will be closed with sutures; Dr. Allison may insert a temporary tube to drain any excess fluid or blood.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
Full recovery from breast augmentation surgery may take 1-2 weeks. Expect your breasts to be swollen and bruised after surgery. Your recovery will go more smoothly if you follow Dr. Allison’s post-op instructions and attend all of your scheduled post-op appointments.
- Stop smoking for at least 2-4 weeks
- Wear a compression garment
- Keep your incision sites clean
- Apply ointment as needed
- Avoid lifting heavy objects for several weeks
- Avoid strenuous activity for several weeks
- Take prescribed medication, if needed
Risks of Breast Augmentation
While Dr. Allison has extensive experience performing breast augmentation and most of his patients do not experience negative side effects, there is still risk of certain complications such as:
- Implant rupture (noticeable with saline implants but not always noticeable with silicone)
- Implant rippling
- Capsular contracture (hard, tight breasts when the implant pocket shrinks)
- Bottoming out (implant falls on the chest)
- Sensation loss
- Anesthesia complications
A study published in the May 2013 issue of the medical journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery® showed that 98% of women who have breast augmentation surgery report that the outcomes met or exceeded what they expected from the procedure.
Breast augmentation is often combined with the breast lift procedure. Dr. Allison offers multiple procedure discounts to help patients afford and achieve the look they desire.
If you have been considering breast augmentation, contact us to schedule a free Cosmetic Consultation to find out if breast implant surgery in Northern Virginia is right for you. There is no obligation and you can discuss the various options with Dr. Allison.